20200301_125219_edited.jpg

History of Hero Lodge #248 

Hero Lodge #248 received its charter from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Prince Hall Grand Lodge of North Carolina on December 9, 1908. It developed from a small masonic area to a new site on highway 70 in Beaufort North Carolina. Most of its original members were menhaden fishermen. During the main fishing season which was between the months of April and November, no meetings were held because the men were away fishing. The fishing was done in the state of Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Delaware, and New Jersey. Meetings commenced with the closing of the main fishing season. 

For over 100 years Hero has been the home of many traveling brethren. Located in a highly transient area, Hero Lodge's membership consists of service members stationed in nearby military installations, residents of Beaufort, and the surrounding area.